Ask a Dentist   »  

Had deep cleaning and scaling. Suggested for implants. Have molar teeth with bone loss. Any advice?

Had deep cleaning and scaling, had not had a good cleaning i several years, cost me almost l,000.
Long story, after six wks went back and said the pickets are less 2-4 but the lower back molar is bad, and there is a lot of bone loss. Didn;t they know this going in before I spent all that money. Also, is that # 7 llower, then the two adjoining teeth 5 and 6 are missing too, so they said if I lose that back tooth (no good, canot be saved0 then i have no biting surface at all. I am so upset, they are suggesting an oral consult, and implants, that is another 300.00 for consult, and then thousands for implants. What do you think? Also, do I have to have 3 implants then to the tune of several thousand each?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 hours later
I would like you to know that scaling is done to remove all the tartar, which is present above and below the gum line.
Tartar causes gingivitis (inflammation of gums), if tartar is not removed then gums continue to swell and form pockets .these pockets harbor food debris and bacteria, which in turn cause periodontitis. This condition is chronic and causes bone loss with tooth mobility.
In your case, periodontitis has lead to pocket formation and bone loss. If the bone loss is severe as in your case then it becomes difficult to save a tooth.
If the remaining teeth are healthy then the missing tooth can be replaced with a bridge (fixed partial denture).
I can understand your dental issue therefore would like to request you to see an oral surgeon. Personally, I do not feel that implants are the only option and if the teeth are not posing any problem for you then you may delay their removal.
Kindly take care of your oral hygiene well, because we do not want any further damage to your gums.
Visit your dentist every 6 months for scaling.
If you have any further queries kindly write back to us.

I hope this answer was useful.
I wish you good health.