Had cut in hand, shook hand with person having a cut and had HIV. Chances of transmission?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
HI , YESTERDAY MORNING I CUT MY INDEX FINGER . THE CUT WAS SMALL AND ONLY BLED FOR A MINUTE . I STOPPED THE BLEEDING AND RUBBED ALCOHOL GEL ON MY HANDS . I THEN WENT TO THE PLACE I WORKED WHERE THE MANAGER INTRODUCED ME TO A NEW CO-WORKER . I SHOOK HIS HANDS AND NOTICED HE ALSO HAD A SMALL CUT ON HIS FINGER . LATER ANOTHER FEMALE CO-WORKER TOLD ME SHE KNEW HIM AND HE WAS XXXXXXX . NEITHER OF OUR CUTS WERE ACTIVELY BLEEDING AND ONLY OUR PALMS TOUCHED , OUR CUTS WERE FACING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION . IS THERE ANY DANGER OF HIV TRANSMISSION IN THIS CASE ? I WORRY IF HE HAD BLOOD SOMEWHERE ELSE ON HIS HAND FROM HIS CUT THAT MAY HAVE MADE CONTACT WITH MY CUT EVEN THOUGH IT WAS NOT BLEEDING , IT WAS A FRESH CUT . THANKS SO MUCH , I COULD NOT SLEEP LAST NIGHT
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I can understand your concern.

It is unlikely for the transmission of HIV virus in the situation you described.

HIV virus spreads by unprotected sex, using unsterile needles, and through unsafe blood transfusions.

As the cut wounds are not bleeding and placed in opposite direction while giving shake hands, the chances of getting HIV is zero.

I advise you to stop worrying and get relaxed. If you are not up to date for tetanus toxoid shot, get it after consulting your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.