Had crohn's disease. Why am I getting nausea before and after bowel movement?

General Surgeon
Question
HI.. i am getting nausea before a bowel movement and sometimes after....i but he virtually said it was i age and i could expect thihave had crohns disease since i was 18 but keep to a strict diet and only have a few flair ups a year which is treated with predsol suppositorys, but in the last 6 months or so i have been getting nausea before a bowel movement and sometimes after which can last for several days,but other days i only get nausea before.. i have never had these symptons before...i visited my doctor and he virtually told me it was age and this would be common from now on and didnt seem to worry about it...but i dont feel good when it lasts for several days.... thank you for any advice you can give me....XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused by partial bowels obstruction. Crohn disease can cause intestines inflammation what leads to narrowing of it. Such narrow intestine gets obstructed so the stool can not go through it freely. It usually also gives abdominal bloating and mild abdominal pain before bowel movements. Blood in stool or mucus in stool can be also present. Weigh lost is possible.
As you have Crohn disease, you are at the increased risk of colon cancer, which can also cause bowel obstruction.
Only after ruling out bowel obstruction, you can start thinking about other reasons of your symptoms including age.
It is advisable for you to have some diagnostics. Abdominal X-ray and abdominal CT with oral contrast should be done as well as colonoscopy. Full blood work is also advisable.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had crohn's disease. Why am I getting nausea before and after bowel movement? 6 minutes later
thank you...do i ask my doctor for a referal for this to be done and will he do it after telling me it is my age....XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Hello!

He should perform this tests. Colonoscopy is the test which you should have every 2 years even without the symptoms as you are Crohns patient. Age has nothing to do with it. You should try to discuss with your doctor.

Regards.