Had complete hysterectomy done. Feeling constipated, bloated, passing bloody mucus from vagina. Related?

Mar 2016

I have been having some occasional mucusy discharge, sometimes vaginal, sometimes anal. Sort of a yellowish/brown color. This seems to happen the day after I do crunches at the gym. When it's vaginal discharge, there are tiny spots of blood (not a whole lot). When it's anal discharge, there is no blood. I also get constipated/bloated quite often. My eating habits are excellent. I don't eat anything processed, lots of produce, complex carbs and lean meats.

I had a complete hysterectomy/oopharectomy 4 years ago, which put me into surgical menopause. So I'm not sure if that could be related. What could be going on?
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX platform. I am trying to solve your problems one by one.

1) In case of vaginal discharge (mucus type/ brownish spotting), possible causes are as follows:
a) effect of estrogen hormone if you are taking it externally as HRT (tissue by conversion of adrenal hormone to estrogen (though it is little amount).
b) Change in vaginal flora, caused by bacterial/ yeast infection/ overgrowth of beneficial lactobacilli.
c) Other possibility- atrophic vaginitis, remote risk of cancer on posterior wall of vagina (H/O blood spot), fluctuation of body hormone (due to surgical menopause) etc.

2) In case of anal discharge, possible reasons are as follows:
a) defect in anal sphincter b) altered bowel habit (you already have constipation) c) from local lesion around rectum/ anal canal d) bacterial overgrowth etc.

Here, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist for complete health check including pelvic examination and do the relevant investigation if needed. Take suggestive measures and proper medication accordingly.

In addition, you may need to take further consultation with gastroenterologist or oncologist according to the situation.

Follow some simple measures:
- Continue to take healthy diet with more vegetables
- Drink more fluids/ water/ juice & eat fresh fruits.
- Take some anti-oxidant supplements (like selenium/ Zinc/ lycopene) with diet.
- Maintain genital hygiene properly and wear only loose fitting cotton underwear.
- Avoid using bath products/ scented soap/ other chemical substance/ douching.
- Take some laxative or isphagula husk to keep regular bowel habit.
- Avoid stress/ tension by yoga or regular deep breathing and maintain a healthy life style.
- Do light to moderate exercise only and try to avoid heavy one for few months.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question"

Wish your good health and take care of yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Had complete hysterectomy done. Feeling constipated, bloated, passing bloody mucus from vagina. Related? 19 hours later
Thank you for answering my questions. I am very concerned about it being cancer (it doesn't help that I suffer from extreme worry and anxiety). Anyhow, I am also HPV positive. I was told that my risk for cervical cancer was gone since I had the cervix removed. Is it possible that I could develop cancer in other areas of the body due to HPV?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for your follow up query.

Yes, anyone with HPV positive is always in high risk for developing cancer in the other body parts beside cervical cancer. HPV 16 & 18 subtypes are mostly associated with vaginal/ vulval/ anal/ oro-pharyngeal carcinoma.

Therefore, you need to contact with oncologist at the earliest for pelvic or Per Vaginal (PV) & Per Rectal (PR) examination including relevant investigations like colposcopy/ colonoscopy to rule out underlying pathology. Histopathological examination of the smeared tissue may be needed to confirm any type of malignancy.

Steps to be taken in this case:
1) Increase your body immunity by healthy diet, anti-oxidant, vitamins & minerals and other nutrients.
2) Maintain genital hygiene properly and better to avoid skin to skin/ oral/ anal/ genital contact with other person.
3) Do periodic check up & pelvic examination including relevant investigation.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy. Good luck.

Dr Soumen