Had colonoscopy. Started bleeding. How to treat this?

I had a colonoscopy too weeks ago today. I have started having some bleeding. What can I do to stop this. It happens when I go to the bathroom. I think it from straining.
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: More information needed to give a better answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion. 1. Why was colonscopy done? 2. What was the colonoscopy report ? 3.Have you had rectal bleeding before? 4. How is your bowel movement/ Are you constipated? Get back to me with these information and I would give my opinion. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Had colonoscopy. Started bleeding. How to treat this? 6 minutes later
It was done because I have been constipated. they found that I have diverticulosis!
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, The rectal bleeding you have could be from hemorrhoids or could be from the diverticula you have. If the bleeding has not stopped and if there is continuous nonstop bleeding, you need to get medical attention. If the bleeding occurs only when you have bowel movements, it is most likely due to hemorrhoids and constipation worsens it. To prevent recurrent bleeding, you need to take high fiber diet, take fiber supplements like metamucil and drink lot of fluids. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini