Had cold. Now have sore throat, migraine, lump in neck, ear pain, difficulty in swallowing. Why?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My wife has been in bed for most of yesterday. It started with a sore throat, and she felt like a cold was coming. Then today, she has added migraine, she's cold, feeling of a lump in her neck, ear pain, difficulty swallowing and overall ickyness. She feels nautilus too. She is in a lot of pain on a side of her face
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 30 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the query

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Does your wife have fever, chills, rigors ?

Any rash on the body ?

Is entire half of face paining ?

It appears that your wife may have developed viral infection of upper respiratory tract. Usually severe headache accompanies viral infection which may explain the migraine like attack experienced by your wife.

The lump in the neck could be due to possible lymph node infection because of infection spread from her throat. Since she has difficulty swallowing and ear pain it could be possible secondary infection causing tonsillitis.

Your wife can do steam inhalation for some relief. Avoid hard and hot food or fluids. Let her consume cool, soft or semi-solid food or ice-cream.

Kindly show your wife to ENT Specialist as it requires proper examination and diagnosis for best management.

Wishing good health.