Had chicken samosa and started discomfort in throat. Difficulty in swallowing. Suggest?

Yesterday I had a chicken samosa, and immediately I started feeling a little bit of discomfort in my throat..however it was not very strong. in the middle of the night I woke up to drink some water and I realised that the back part of my throat is hurting badly to the point of me getting a feeling that this part has disappeared. I was finding it almost impossible to swallow. In the morning the situation was almost the same. I ate two vicks and for about half an hour it was ok, but it again started hurting, albeit not as bad as the night..please help
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Guru 3 hours later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

It looks that your symptoms might be due infection like pharyngitis or may also be an allergic reaction. I advise you to try doing warm oral saline gargles 3 times a day and take tablet like paracetamol if you have pain and discomfort in throat, provide you do not have any kidney or liver problems.

Furthermore, if you feel the same sensation like what you have mentioned about it was impossible to swallow and hurting very badly, then you need to consult doctor immediately for physical examination to rule out some serious causes.

You might need a throat swab in order to decide the need of antibiotics, if it does not get improved in couple of days.

Please let me know if you have any further queries!

Hope this helps!