Had bruised thigh after injury. Having pain in thigh. Is it due to injury?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I fell into a tv stand at home and bruise my right thigh with a bruise the size of a baseball. Now my upper thigh is bothering me in too. Are the 2 related somehow?
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Symptoms are from the injury. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. A bruise on the thigh from this sort of injury can spread and cause significant pain so your symptoms are consistent with your fall. Movement of your leg may be painful for a few days. An injury such as this is most unlikely to cause a blood clot so do not worry about this. Paracetamol and ibuprofen will help the pain. Applying a cold compress may stop the bruise spreading and reduce further muscle damage. I hope this is of help and that you feel better soon. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB. FRCA.
Follow-up: Had bruised thigh after injury. Having pain in thigh. Is it due to injury? 5 minutes later
I should have told you that I fell into the tv stand in September. The pain in my groin/left side started a few days ago and is getting worse. Sorry Dr., I meant the pain is in the groin area on the right side. It's extremely difficult to get dressed and lying down on the bed is almost impossible due to the pain. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: May be a pulled muscle. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for the further information. As the original injury was sustained back in September, it is unlikely to be related to your current pain. There are two possibilities for the current discomfort. It is most likely to be due to a pulled muscle. Although you may not have been aware of injuring a muscle in your groin, it is easily done and can cause this level of pain. Alternatively, you may have a hernia in your groin. However, the pain would usually be relieved with lying down so this would be less likely as a cause of your pain. I suggest you take pain killers and try to rest for a few days. If the pain does not improve, a visit to your doctor would be best. Hope this helps. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger