Had brain tumor operations done. MRI scan normal. Why am I feeling dizzy?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I have been feeling very dizzy lately. I had 2 brain tumor operations before. One was done in 2010, the recent one was done in 2012. The first tumor was benign but the recent one was AA3. I also had tomo radiation after my operation with concurrent oral chemo called temodar. I completed my 6 th cycle in January 2013. My oncology doctor stopped my temodar after the 6th cycle as my MRI scan was fine. I am now wondering if my dizziness could be due to swelling at the surgical site. If so, when will that subside and will it subside naturally?

Thank you
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Brain Tumor

Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 4 hours later
Hello.

There are many causes for dizziness. Brain pathology is one of them. It is unlikely to have surgical site swelling after such a long post surgery period unless there is a ongoing radiation which is stopped in your case. Anyway, swelling on surgical site can not cause dizziness but radiation can cause.

You have not provided me the details of dizziness like when did it start, any associated complains like vomiting, is it associated with change in position?

Brain edema can cause dizziness which needs to be ruled out. Other pathology like ENT problem can cause such a symptom.

I would suggest you to see a Neurologist for detailed evaluation if dizziness is severe. If it is due to inner ear pathology, it will settle with labyrinthine sedatives like Vertin. Do not worry, I do not think there is any major issue with you. It might settle on it's own or may need minor treatment with medication.

I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had brain tumor operations done. MRI scan normal. Why am I feeling dizzy? 23 minutes later
My dizziness started after my last dosage of temodar (the last cycle in January 2013)
During this period and even weeks after I finished my oral chemo, I had no appetite at all. My nauseas feeling was made worse due to my loss of appetite. Due to my dizziness, I could not walk steadily. Initially, I thought my dizziness was brought about by elevated progesterone levels in my body before a period, however, even after getting my period, my dizziness and nauseas did not subside. This is worrying as my daily routine is badly affected.

Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 24 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for providing additional details.

Based on your history, most probable cause seems to be related to your tumor and chemo. But, also the possibility of Labyrinthitis can not be ruled out as you mention you have difficulty in walking steadily.

I think, it will settle slowly, but, it is better to be evaluated by physical examination. I would suggest you to see your treating doctor for the same.

I hope, this helps. I wish you speedy recovery.

Regards.