Had blood test done. TSH was high. Should I need to take medicine after one test?

Question
Hello, recently I got my blood test done n my tsh is 5.567.do I need to take medicine r should I get test done again cauz ive heard one shouldn't start thyroid med on one test.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and humbled by this opportunity to answer your.health query today. I am sorry about this higher than normal levels of TSH and the inconveniences this has caused to you.
This TSH value of 5.567 is higher than the normal value which is expected to be less than 2. This classically signals a hypo-functioning thyroid gland.

Treatment based on a test alone is never the way to go. If you have symptoms of hypothyroidism some of which include excessive tiredness, constipation, depression, fatigue, increased sensitivity to cold, irregular menses, thinning of hair, dry skin, unexplained weight gain etc, then a single test may be enough reason to consider you for further investigation and treatment. You will need follow up tests of T4 and T3 levels before getting you on treatment. This helps to distinguish sub-clinical(high TSH but low T4 and T3) hypothyroidism from XXXXXXX hypothyroidism.(high T4 and low low T3 and T4) which have different treatment approaches.

If you do not have any symptoms, then repeating this test is very important because it could be a laboratory measuring error. If you should get persistent high values, then doing T4 and T3 levels will help to make the picture clearer. If all confirms hypothyroidism, then the decision to treat or not without symptoms may depend on how high is this TSH from the normal range. If yours is correct at 5.567, then you may strongly be considered for treatment.

There is no standard dose for treatment. We simply start and adjust the dose according to the symptoms of the patient and the laboratory values of TSH until we get it right.

I will advice you strongly consider to XXXXXXX with an endocrinologist before starting any treatment for the above reasons. Also, at times we need to know what the cause is....Is it an auto immune disease (hashimoto's), low iodine intake etc and address it, too. Monitoring is capital and you should not be manipulating this drug all by yourself because it has potential side effects when not well handled.

I hope this addresses your query fully.
If you should have further questions related to this, please keep the coming.
I wish you the best as we continue to get answers and resolve the problem.
I wish you good health and above all, a peace of mind!
Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Had blood test done. TSH was high. Should I need to take medicine after one test? 10 hours later
Hi, can one have revitoril at night if tsh is 5.567.my doctor has adviced me one tablet at night bcoz of sleeplesnes.though I dont take it as I dont want to get addicted to sedatives.please advice something as I can't sleep at night.

Hi and thank you once more for this follow up query.

A patient can take rivotril if his/her doctor prescribes it. A TSH of 5.567 is not a contra-indication. You cannot deny to take a medication because it is a habit forming drug when you truly need it. You rightly mentioned that rivotril is a habit forming drug but i think at this moment, your doctor thinks the benefits out weigh the possible risk of getting addicted. Addiction only comes after using the drug for long and not for a short while, so may want to get off the medication as soon as possible so as to avoid getting addicted.

I will like to suggest that you make a personal review and find out what the cause of this insomnia is. It should be addressed unless none is available because that will be the safest and permanent solution and not short term fixes with rivotril.

I hope I have answered your query fully.

If you have no further follow up query related to this subject, you may choose to close the discussion now. Please, do remember to rate the quality of my answers and also write a personal review. This is a valuable feedback for me to act on and provide even more better services in future. I wish you a good health and hope you continue using our services.

Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Had blood test done. TSH was high. Should I need to take medicine after one test? 15 hours later
Hi, doctor has adviced me thyronom 25mg.i ve started taking it does it take time to adjust.

Hi and thaks for this follow up query.

It will take about 1-2weeks before you start to feel better if it is the adequate dose for you.But as I mentioned to you before, only monitoring through symptoms and laboratory control would determine the right dose for you. It is only when we get the right dose that w can start to talk of when the symptoms will regress and parameters adjusting. As soon as the right dosage is gotten, all will return to normal pretty soon.

Dr. Ditah