Had beer after usual dose of Xanax to prevent anxiety attack. Enough time gap between the two?

I'm a 25 year old woman, 155 lbs. I had a beer four hours before taking my usual dose of Xanax (0.25mg) to prevent an anxiety attack, not thinking about the alcohol. Is that enough time between the two to be okay? Obviously I know it's not a good idea, but I don't feel comfortable going to sleep until I know with a reasonable degree of certainty that I'll be okay!
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Alcohol and alprazolam both of them taken together have a synergistic effect. However you are on a low dose of alprazolam (xanax) and I do not think you need to be worried about synergistic effects in your case.

So do not worry about that. But try and avoid such scenario from occurring.

Continue to ask further queries as required.

Hope this helps.
Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics