Had baby. Bottle feeding since birth. Not started with periods. Normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi there,
I had a baby on 25th march (12 weeks 4 days ago) and my periods have not returned. I am bottle feeding since she was born. Can you advise if this is normal/should I be concerned/what I should do?
Took pregnancy test just over week ago and it was negative.

XXXXX
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Most of women get their period within three months after child birth.

Breastfeeding mothers do not get menstrual period even after 6 months of child birth.

As you are not giving breastfeeds to the child, usually you should get period within 3 months of child birth.

But even during this period, there are chances of getting pregnancy if you don't use contraception methods.

I advise you to do urine pregnancy test with the early morning sample again.

Even after 3 months of child birth, if there is no return of periods, it is advised to consult the doctor who are not breastfeeding.

As it is almost 3 months since childbirth, I advise you to consult the gynecologist for further advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had baby. Bottle feeding since birth. Not started with periods. Normal? 12 minutes later
What could be the possible causes here outside of pregnancy!

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

The possible cause for not returning period after child birth is a variation in the time of return between women, outside pregnancy.

This variation depends on the time when the hormone levels come to normal state.

Periods may return in some women early, and in some there may be delay after child birth.

If pregnancy is ruled out, the most common cause for delay in periods after birth is just a variation among the women.

This time of variation is due to night time feeding, normalization of hormonal levels to pre pregnancy levels.

Regards.