Had an anaesthetic. ECG reading sinus rhythm with occasional ventricular premature complexes. What does it mean?

my husband has just returned home from having an anaesethic and gave me this ecg which reads sinus rythm with occasional ventricular premature complexes with frequent supraventricular premature complexes
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs clinical correlation and ECHO.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1. The ECG shows sinus rhythm with a single ventricular premature complex with a run of atrial tachycardia with left atrial abnormality with a marginally prolong QTc with left anterior hemiblock.
2. None of them has a definite association with heart disease except for Left atrial abnormality. This is likely due to effect of high blood pressure on his heart.
3. Rest of the findings can be there in a normal heart but may also be associated with heart disease. the other indicator of heart disease will be undue shortness of breath on exertion, chest heaviness/ discomfort on exercise/ carrying weights/ running/ using stairs, swelling of feet, episodes of loss of consciousness, transient vertigo, blackout, unexplained fall etc. Please let me know if he has any of these. Please also share if he has any other medical illness and any other medicine he is taking.
4. Next step in such circumstances is usually to get a cardiac ultrasound (echocardiography) done to rule out any serious anomaly.
Hope this provides some insight into the issue. I am waiting for your follow-up question with details.
Sukhvinder Singh