Had an MRI with out contrast. Report indicates the presence of nonspecific punctuate foci. Explain meaning?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Thank you. I just had an MRI with out contrast. The report indicates the presence of nonspecific punctuate foci, of T2 prolongation of frontal lobes. Could you please tell me what that means?
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Non specific punctate foci in frontal lobes in MRI may not be indicative of any pathology.
They represent ischemia (lack of blood flow) in the small blood vessels of the brain. Hence they are also at times referred to as ischemic small vessel disease. Hence these lesions are more commonly seen in the MRI of patients who have cerebrovascular risk factors like hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol as well those that smoke. Their incidence increases with age.

These lesions are responsible for memory impairment (vascular dementia) in some individuals. A neurological examination to look for cognitive impairment is needed to diagnose the condition.

Hence I advise you to follow with your neurologist. He would be the best person to guide further diagnostic workup and treatment.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.