Had alcohol. Experiencing dehydrated, dizziness, nausea and pins and needles. What's wrong?

Critical Care Specialist
I went out five days ago and drank quite a lot. The next day I became highly dehydrated with symptoms of dizziness, nausea and pins and needles. I rehydrated myself.
However, since then, I have not drunk any alcohol and have eaten lots of vegetables and water, but have stomach pain, slight nausea, lethargy, increased bowel movement with loose stools and wonder if this is related to the drinking or if its something more serious.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
The symptoms that you are experiencing are in all likelihood due to alcohol but it would be premature to rule out an intestinal infection as well.
Since alcohol increases your urine output, it causes dehydration. Alcohol irritates the stomach to the point of inducing gastritis (inflammation of stomach lining), ulcer and acid reflux.
So the pain abdomen you’re having is due to gastritis.
Alcohol also damages the lining of intestine which block absorption and breakdown of nutrients which produces malabsorption syndrome, causing loose stool and increased bowel movements. Super added infection can further aggravate the symptoms of malabsorption.
These symptoms are not serious but need medical consultation.
I would suggest you see your physician and get an exam. Till then, you can take Tablet Prevacid 1 tablet once daily 1 hour before meals. This should take care of your pain abdomen by and large. Also, avoid excessive tea/coffee and cigarettes. Eat small meals through the day and keep yourself well hydrates.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Get well soon