Had adrenalectomy for Conn"syndrome. Hormones lacking. Dangerous?

Question
I have had an adrenalectomy for Conn"syndrome. What hormones am I likely to be somewhat lacking in, and is that dangerous?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in. I hope it is unilateral adrenalectomy thats been done. So your otjer adrenal is normal and spared. This adrenal which remains back can fully compensate for the one thats removed. So you wont be lacking in any hormones. This single adrenal if functioning adequately, is more than enough for making adequate amounts of glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids and catecholamines.
So I think there is nothing to worry and your hormon levels will in any case be checked once for their adequacy.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad