Had a surgical abortion. Ultrasound showed retained products of conception. Given Cytotec. Breasts are tender. Chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I recently had a surgical abortion for personal reasons last month on September 20th. I was 5 1/2 - 6 weeks along. I ended up in the emergency room a few days after my procedure and had an ultrasound that showed I had a little retained products of conception (RPOC). I was given Cytotec to pass the retained products, and the results of my last ultrasound showed I no longer had any RPOC. I had blood work done on October 2nd that showed my pregnancy hormones dropped to 41. I had protected sex, (we used male condoms) a few days ago on October 20th and 21st. I have no gotten my period yet and I have not started my birth control because my OBGYN said I should wait for my natural period to return. I have been very emotional and crying for no reason the past few days and my breasts are are slightly tender.
What are the chances I could be pregnant? When can I expect my period?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of pregnancy is less

Detailed Answer:
The possibility of pregnancy is less in your case, as you used barrier method of contraception.
After undergoing abortion, it will take some time for regularization of the hormonal levels and for the onset of menstrual period.
This period differs from person to person.
Some women may have early onset of periods and they can ovulate 2 weeks after abortion.
So the possibility of ovulation is there in your case.
But as you used contraception, the possibility of pregnancy is less.
The symptoms you are having could be part of premenstrual syndrome.
These will subside soon after onset of periods.
So no need to worry.
Once your periods start, you can go for hormonal pills.
Possibly your periods may start in one week.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.

Follow-up: Had a surgical abortion. Ultrasound showed retained products of conception. Given Cytotec. Breasts are tender. Chances of pregnancy? 9 minutes later
Do you you believe that pregnancy is possible or that my period may be on its way? I'm very confused and not sure what to do. We took all precautions with proper use of condoms such as leaving room at the tip as well as holding the base while withdrawing.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of pregnancy is less

Detailed Answer:
According to your history, there is more possibility for premenstrual syndrome. And possibly you may get the periods soon.
As you used the barrier method of contraception as per the guidelines, the possibility of pregnancy is less.
If there is pregnancy also, nothing can be done at this moment.
You wait for one more week. If you do not get periods by that time, go for pregnancy test once.
If the test comes positive, consult gynecologist once, get examined and go for ultrasound.
Then with her advice you can decide further action.