Had a lingual tonsillectomy due to difficulty swallowing, also had partial glossectomy. Dysphagia continues. Cure?

ENT Specialist
I had a lingual tonsillectomy in XXXXXXX of 2012 due to difficulty swallowing. They also did a partial glossectomy as well. Post op swallowing was better but not normal, but now I feel like i am in the same boat as before surgery. My dysphagia continues and is slightly worse. Had a ct of the neck (negative), MRI to rule out neuro (negative) upper gi was negative. I have no answers and am frustrated, i want my life back, i am only 27. I am tired of having to drink ensure everyday to get my calories in. Could scar tissue be the cause?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

You had difficulty in swallowing for which lingual tonsillectomy and partial glossectomy was done. Did you had any other problem and was the partial glossectomy specimen sent for Histopathological reporting? Did you suffer from Sleep Apnea previously?

I am not able to get you as Either the terminology you are using is not correct as partial glossectomy is not done for simple dysphagia without any evidence of tumour? Do you have a small chin and had a big tongue for which reduction was done?

If you are not having any other disease then next: now what you can do is to consult a Speech Therapist. This is very important as they will teach you how to use the remaining part of tongue smartly while speaking, swallowing . They can tell you some exercises for that.

In addition to that you can use a gargle to clean the mouth and throat regularly.

You must also use a Antacid to decrease the amount of reflux of food contents in food pipe from stomach.(It might be that you think you do not have reflux as it is not necessary that you have apparent reflux sometimes reflux is there in night about which patient is not aware )
Keep head end of bed elevated.
Avoid alcohol, Smoking
Do brisk walking daily
Go for walk after dinner
Avoid spicy food     
Avoid late night coffee

Get well soon.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.