Had a hysterectomy. Now have swollen arms, hands and feet. Is it normal?

I just had a hysterectomy 2 days ago and woke up with swollen hands, arms and feet. Is that normal?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 minutes later

Swelling of the limbs isnt normal after a hysterectomy. This may occur due to edema but the cause of the edema needs to be determined.If there is any significant swelling then renal function tests should be done and also your blood pressure needs to be monitored. You should see your surgeon at the earliest.

You might need to take diuretics to counteract this problem which should be prescribed by your doctor. Meanwhile control your fluid intake and restrict salt in your diet. You may also need a follow up ultrasound.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back to me if you have any doubts.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.