Had a chemo. CLL showing symptoms again. Had hip replacement. Buttock area worse. What should I do?

I am 82 yrs old with CLL, had chemo 4 yrs ago but my CLL is showing symptoms again, night sweats, weight loss and now I have this sudden pain in my rt buttocks area, no tingling down back of leg and no lower back pain just this pain in buttocks area which seems to be getting worse, I was taking Etodolac for the pain but not working anymore, is this pain possibly from the CLL and maybe my spleen?? Is it possible that is my spleen is swollen could it be pushing on a nerve thats causing this pain. It feels better when I am sitting position but hurts when I get up and walk, its the same side I had hip replacement done about 10yrs ago.
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Recurrent fever, night sweats and weight loss may herald the progression of CLL. Spleen may well be enlarged due to CLL but usually that does not explain pain in buttocks area. It may be due to enlarged lymph node mass in the abdomen.
I think you sould consult your oncologist/hematologist immediately, do the blood works and an abdomen ultrasound. If there is a relapse then treatment should not be delayed. There are many new drugs available in CLL and I am sure your doc will be able to find a suitable one.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best Wishes,
Follow-up: Had a chemo. CLL showing symptoms again. Had hip replacement. Buttock area worse. What should I do? 48 minutes later
I had a CT with contrast 3 weeks ago and it showed slight increase in lymph nodes in stomach being swollen and slight swelling in liver and spleen, blood work showed slight increase in white blood count also, this buttocks pain came on all of a sudden about two weeks ago, Vicodin does not help with pain either, My oncologist suggested an MRI of my back area, what will this test show anyway, since I just had a Ct 3 weeks ago. Are there new drugs out for CLL treatment now versus 4 yrs ago?? I tolerated the first Chemo treatment really well, no side affects at all.

Thank You
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
Yes, MRI can show up something which CT can’t show, especially related to soft tissue.
Though the slight increase in white cells may in itself be non-serious, along with the symptoms, it is.
There are a few new drugs available. If you let me know what all you had received earlier, I can suggest something now.