Had a ceramic TKR of the right leg. Itching persists in feet. High creatinin, diabetic. Suggestions ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had a ceramic TKR of the right leg on the 2012-01-23.When came to after the operation my feet were itching and also my lower right leg was itching from my knee to my foot.This eventually stopped but what has been happening since 5th May 2012 is that everytime I do my physio exercises my whole body itches along with a feeling pinpricks under my skin on various sites on my body.I was on Tramacet(2 capsules-one in the morning and one at night) from the 16 April till 5th May.The first attack of itchiness on the 5th May was intense.I immediately stopped using the Tramacet and have been using an icepack for pain management.I have a history of acute renal failure which I had in September 2010.I recovered and my renal function went back to normal.I had my kidney function assessed on the 22nd of May 2012.My physician reported back my creatinine level was 115.Other functions were normal.I am 68 years of age.I have diabetes 2,hypertension and raised cholestrol.I am on Metformin 3x850 mg. per day,Samvistatin and Lisinopril.The itching and pinpricks still flare up when I exercise but not as intense as the one on the 5th May.From XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The sensation of itching and pin pricks is likely to be due to neuropathy which is common in cases of diabetes.
If this happens only after doing an exercise then it is likely to be due to cholinergic urticaria. It is characterised by a hypersensitive response in the skin as a result of the body increase in temperature (passively or actively), or the release of sweat.

Some common treatments include taking antihistamines (such a Allegra, Zyrtec, or stronger ones), avoiding known triggers (such as hot weather, physical activity, and spicy foods), corticosteriods (only for extreme cases), anabolic steroids, UVB therapy, sweat/exercise therapy, diet changes (such as avoiding known trigger foods), and more.

You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your dermatologist.
Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.