Had a bowel movement, a round mass slipped out from vagina, foul smell. What is it?

hello, I just went to the restroom and had bowel movement. When wiping the third time, I felt something slip out of me. When I looked down, I saw a rather large mostly round mass in the toilet, which did not come out of my anal area. Also, my vagina has had a weird smell for the last couple weeks. Because of this, I have been abstinent since its not attractive and dont want to spread anything to my partner. Help??
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From your description it seems that you are having vaginosis.
A discharge like this usually reflects an infection of either bacterial, fungal or parasitic origin. It is impossible to guess what the cause is without the benefit of examining you and performing a microscopic exam of the discharge.

In the absence of being able to do this you could try an over the counter preparation to treat a possible fungal cause. This would be clotrimazole and is used once daily at bedtime for at least 3 days. It is a topical cream actually which is inserted into the vagina.

I suspect however that what is causing this is either bacterial vaginosis or possibly a sexually transmitted disease. For this reason I recommend you see your gynecologist as soon as possible for an examination and appropriate medical management. This will usually respond quickly with a properly selected antibiotic. Trichomoniasis can cause these symptoms and is always transmitted sexually. Again there is no way to diagnose this is the absence of an exam and sample of the fluid discharge. I hope you understand this aspect.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.