Had Lumpectomy and lump was taken out. Breast was damaged and on pain medication. Suggest the cure?

Question
Yes please, I had lumpecyomy 2007 and has lump taken out. Bur during procedure a nerve on lf. Breast was damaged. I have been on all kinds og pain meds and was wondering can't anything else be done about this ?
Like nerve block at would numb nerve?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medical and surgical options are available ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

Let me start by saying that a nerve block is only a temporary solution and as soon as the effect wears out, you will experience the pain again.

This is why I shall list all the treatment options for an injured or damaged nerve, they are:
-Medical therapy: Hyperbaric oxygen for regeneration of nerves, imaging will be required like CT and MRIs, medication like meloxicam (for 2-4 weeks has shown to help)
-Surgical therapy: + Reconnection or resuturing of an injured or severed nerve
+ Trimming and resuturing of nerve ends
+ Delayed repairs can be addressed by shortening of bone length to provide effect of lenghtening of the nerve
+ Nerve grafts can be used for severely damaged nerves
+ Finally, nerve or tendon transfers are taken up for unsucessful nerve repairs

These are the available options ma'am. I would recommend a visit to your surgeon who should be able to find a solution. First, imaging and peoper diagnosis and grading of your injury should be done, after which the approach will be decided.

I hope this information helps you ma'am, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, or if the information I have provided in unclear, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Had Lumpectomy and lump was taken out. Breast was damaged and on pain medication. Suggest the cure? 6 hours later
Can you recommend specialist I can go to here in Tulsa or surrounding area.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sure ma'am, I shall help you with that

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

I shall give you a few contacts, but I am not well aware of their reputation, so you will have to do some research of your own before visiting them

Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
6901 S Yorktown Ave Suite C
Tulsa, OK 0000

Dr. XXXXXXX E. Taubman, MD
Vascular Surgery, General Surgery
1919 S Wheeling Ave Suite 600, Tulsa, OK 0000

Dr. XXXXXXX Blebea, MD
General Surgery, Vascular Surgery

Dr. XXXXXXX J. Dullye, DO
General Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Vascular Surgery
802 S XXXXXXX Ave Suite 200, Tulsa, OK 0000

I hope one of these surgeons meets you and helps you with your symptoms ma'am. Wishing you the best and nothing less. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to assist you.

God bless.