Had IUI. Did US to check ovulation. Are gel used for US safe for sperm?

Infertility Specialist
Question
hello doctor,

I had my second round of IUI today and my new gynaecologist did vaginal ultrasound 1 hour before my IUI to check ovulation.
But i am scared as she used condom with gel on it for ultrasound and also she put speculum lubricated with the same ultrasound gel during IUI.
Now my question is :

1) whether the gel she used can kill the washed sperm ?

2)is it right to use gel on the day of IUI ?

3) i had bleeding immediately after the procedure, is it normal?

4) i hope because of this gel my IUI will not fail?

during my first IUI gel was not used for ultrasound and the condom was not used,

ONE MORE QUESTION MY GYNAECOLOGIST TOLD ME THAT WASHED SPERMS ARE ALIVE FOR ONLY 2 TO 3 HOURS AFTER IUI INSIDE UTREUS BUT OTHERS TOLD ME SPERM CAN BE ALIVE FOR 24 TO 72 HOURS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHATS TRUE?

Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dont worry

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns.

1) The gel should not be used above the condom or with speculum as it might damage sperms.

2) In IUI, sperms are directly transferred into uterus and gel is in vagina , hence effect of it may not be much.

3) Any way ask doctor not to use gel if you visit again next time. Your IUI wont fail because of gel. Dont worry.

4) Slightly bleeding is common probably due to difficulty in procedure.

5) Sperms can be alive for 2 to 3 days. No problem.

I hope your doubt is cleared.

regards,

Follow-up: Had IUI. Did US to check ovulation. Are gel used for US safe for sperm? 1 hour later
thanks a lot doctor,
i would like to tell u, that first my doctor did the ultrasound with the gel n then she did not clean my vagina, she just put the speculum n lubricated it with the same gel, i asked her that during my first iui, i did not use this, she said it wont harm. also she said how will the speculum go inside without lubricating.

moreover it was very painful to put that speculum inside.

i fail to understand how i got it done before without the gel. earlier they cleaned my vagina, n simply put the speculum , without pain. even the iui was done so nicely with very less or minimal pain.

plz explain me the exact procedure of iui. im confused.

i hope i dont get any infection, my doctor gave no medicine after iui except progesterone.
Also About life of sperm my docotr told me normal semen in natural sex the sperm lives inside vagina or utreus for 24 to 72 hours

but washed sperm is alive only for 2 hours.

so my question is what is the life of washed sperm?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Speculum size

Detailed Answer:

Gel should not be used on the day of IUI, But some gynecologists do use it as it is less harmful.

It wont cause any infection. Relax and dont think about infection . You dont need any other medicine.

The pain you experienced might be due to bigger speculum used than earlier. Request your doctor to use smaller speculum next time.

Washed sperms also stay for 48 to 72 hours.

I hope your confusions are cleared.

regards,
Dr. Mahesh Koregol