Had Coronary CTA using 160-slice Aquilion PRIME. Is this harmful?

May 2014

I had a Coronary CTA for chest pain on physical activity as StressEcho came negative and i continue to have same prob for 3 months, the radioligist told me i hadOur CT scanner is the 160-slice Aquilion PRIME. It has Toshiba's AIDR 3D which decreases radiation dose by 75%. It is the second system installed in the U.S.A. 2mSv radiation exposure, how harmful is that? How worried i should be?
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Do not worry Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Your question is very important I hope to provide you with an acceptable answer as a Radiologist. Radiation exposure is measured in milli Sieverts mSv . The dose of 2 mSv is a very small dose and equal to the amount of radiation exposure that is absorbed by a person working as an inflight air crew member who travels in aeroplane each day for a year (annual dose). Having said that you should not be worried from the radiation causing any serious harm to you. I must say the machine is really good if it is a 160 slice CT with dose limitation capabilities. Hope your query is answered. Do write back in case of doubts. Regards. Dr.Vivek