Had ADHD as child. Can the same medications be taken as an adult? Will marijuana harm or help?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and still experiences it as an adult (21 yrs). He smokes marijuana heavily as he says it helps his mind to stay focused and unjumbled. He is thinking about going back onto the medication he had as a child for ADHD (dexamphetamine). Is it harmful to take this drug if he continues to smoke marijuana?
Also, he thinks it is perfectly ok to smoke maijuana. Can you tell me what the side effects are, particularly the XXXXXXX ones, apart from the fact that it can lead to the use of harder drugs. For example, does it cause lung cancer, hair loss, memory loss, depression, etc, over time?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query
Answer 1. Though there are no known interactions between medicinal doses of cannabis and amphetamines, recreational use of marijuana may increase the risk of psychological sideeffects and should be stopped when using other stimulant drugs like dexamphetamine.There are many modes of treating Adhd including behaviour therapy as well.
So please do not self medicate and consult your therapist or doctor.
Answer 2.
Though the studies are still going on many long term effects of marijuana are postulated like testicular cancer, psychotic disorders, depression, memory loss,
Lung and head and neck cancers, endocrine disorders etc.
So please take your son to his psychiatrist or therapist for treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back to me if you have further queries.