HPT was positive, tiredness and nausea. Bleeding with cramps. Heart beat of baby not shown in scan. Is it a miscarriage?

Hi...i last had my period on 20june, hpt was positive...usual tiredness, nausea etc. Started to bleed around 15/16 Aug with cramps...the bleed was dark brown and very like end of a period. Never thought anything too wrong as had m/c before which was heavy and bright red...thought was implantation bleed. Went for scan on 30 Sep but nothing heartbeat, no baby nothing. I had my bloods taken for hgc was 87, after another 48 hours it only went down to 61...have to go tomorrow and get them repeated. Am just wondering how I have any level of hgc if I miscarried mid Aug?...thx
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello, I would be happy to help you!

Detailed Answer:
So to review:

1. LMP = 6/20 + positive HCG at that time
2. At the time of the positive urine test, you HAD to be about 4 weeks along
3. You had bleeding on 8/15/16
4. 9/30 - ultrasound showed nothing in uterus
5. HCG declining after that

So your story is consistent with a miscarriage, with bleeding initially on 6/20 and again in August. HCG levels take a long time to get down to zero. In fact, the 'half-life' of HCG is about 24 hours, meaning that it usually goes down by about half every 24 hours. So if it got into the 1,000's, it can actually take weeks to reach zero.

It is important, though, to follow it all the way down to zero.

I hope that this helps!