Ask a Dentist   »  

Gum between two incissors swollen and painful. Is the shifting of wisdom tooth causing the gum pain?

The gum between my top two incissors is swollen and extremely painful. I have no gingivits and have bi yearly dental checkups. I do still have my wisdom teeth, so I don't know if shifting is occuring, causing the gums to be pinched. This happens about twice a year and usually lasts about a week.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashu Gupta 6 hours later

It seems like you may be suffering from an infection between the gum and the tooth. It is called periapical pathology is dental terms. In general terms, it simply means infection at the tip of the root.

I would suggest you to get an Intraoral PeriApical (IOPA) x-ray done to see if there is any abnormality inside the tooth or surrounding the root area.

Depending on the cause, it may require root canal treatment (RCT) to be done. After the RCT, placement of crown may be required too.

Meanwhile, you can take over the counter analgesics like Tylenol for relief of pain. You also require antibiotics, which can be prescribed by a dentist.

I wish you speedy recovery.

Hope my suggestions will help you. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Dr. Ashu Gupta
Follow-up: Gum between two incissors swollen and painful. Is the shifting of wisdom tooth causing the gum pain? 14 hours later
You're the doctor, but Ive had this problem since I was about 15. I'm 30 now. So infection seems unlikely. I made an appt. with my dentist just to make sure though. Thank you so much, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashu Gupta 11 hours later

Thanks for posting a follow up to your query.

If the problem has occurred off and on for the last 15 years and that too twice a year for only a week, the cause becomes uncertain.

I wish I could have examined you while the gum was / is painful and swollen.

What relief methods have you tried in the past to reduce the pain? Are those methods working consistently? - If so they might point towards a cause.

One possibility is of trauma during brushing your teeth, but again that is unlikely to be recurrent for fifteen years.

Perhaps your dentist, who you have made an appointment with, will be able to identify and manage it better. I am sorry I could not be of better help. However if you have any other concern following your dental consult, I will be glad to help you.

I wish you speedy recovery.

Dr Ashu Gupta
Follow-up: Gum between two incissors swollen and painful. Is the shifting of wisdom tooth causing the gum pain? 21 hours later
I went to my dentist and apparently I just have a XXXXXXX bite and on occasion my bottom incissors will irritate the gum. He took an X-ray and the was no infection or
cyst of any sort. That was a relief. It's just something I may have to live with. Thanks for your help, Will.
Answered by Dr. Ashu Gupta 25 hours later

Thanks for letting me know the outcome of your dental appointment. Thought I would like to add few points as we close here.

Trauma to the gums due to XXXXXXX bite, may be corrected by orthodontic treatment. It aims to raise the bite so that the incisors do not irritate the gum. The need for this treatment will depend on the frequency and intensity of pain and swelling.

I wish you a speedy recovery. All the best. Please rate my answer after closure.