Grey and white patches on the throat, difficulty in swallowing. No fever

I have a gray and white patches on my throat or tonsils.
-hurts to swallow on left side of mouth
-no fever
What could this be?
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

White patches in the throat are seen in many conditions like Streptococcal infections, Mononucleosis, Thrush , Actinomycosis etc.

In you since there is no fever I would consider Mononucleosis and thrush to be the suspects. Also such lesions are seen in nutritional deficiency of Vitamins.A detailed examination of the throat and a culture test would be needed to find out the exact diagnosis.

I suggest you to consult a ENT specialist who after examining you could advice you specifically.

Meanwhile do gargle with antiseptic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE twice daily after food. This will prevent the condition to progress if it is due to an infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Grey and white patches on the throat, difficulty in swallowing. No fever 5 minutes later
What causes these such infections?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

The above infections I mentioned are due to viruses and fungi respectively. Transfer of saliva is the common mode of transmission.Such transmission from infective people could be via daily use articles like tumblers, spoons etc

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.