Got tested negative during blood donation after exposure. Am I free from HIV?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I got tested during blood donation
after 4 months of exposure it was negative does it proves i don't have hiv
Hey doctor before the blood donation i got tested my self by rapid tests at labs on 9th week and 90th day and then the donation
all were rapid test and were negative
please advise do i call my self hiv negative
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Assured that you are HIV free.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Almost all the HIV tests marketed are highly sensitive and 99% specific and reliable.
So if you had screened for HIV that too after 4 months means that you not infected with HIV. Just forget about your past sexual exposure and try to have a safe sex hereafter so that you can avoid unnecessary tension.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Got tested negative during blood donation after exposure. Am I free from HIV? 8 minutes later
Apart from the screening done at donation i also got my self tested at labs by rapid test at 9 weeks by jmitra tridot and 90th day by span diagnostic 3 dots
i think the above two test were conclusive enough
what do you think doc
Thankyou doc
just 1 last query
are the test the name i mentioned are reliable at 9 weeks and 90 days
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Test done after 90 days conclusive.You are HIVfree

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
As I said early that almost all the test marketed are very specific and reliable up to 99%.
In my clinical experience, both Tridot test marketed by J XXXXXXX and Span are highly reliable tests. Especially the test marketed by Span company performed after 90 days is conclusive. Nothing more to worry about the same and you are free from HIV.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Got tested negative during blood donation after exposure. Am I free from HIV? 9 hours later
But doc there is global confusion some say 12 weeks some say 90 days and some say after 90 days .i got it done on exactly 90th day
what difference does it makes
my exposure was on the evening of march 17 and my test was on 15th XXXXXXX morning
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HIV antibody test on 90th day conclusive

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
There is confusion.
In medicine there is no hard and fast rule.

In these tests antibodies against HIV is being detected. Body will take sometime to produce antibodies against particular antigen or germ as the immune system of the body identify the same and to produce antibodies against the same. Each body will react at its own way. There is no rule as the antibodies appear on that particular day. We can say only a range.
As far as HIV is considered antibodies are known to occur anytime between 8-12 weeks. That is some people produce antibodies as early as 8 weeks, some will take up to 12 weeks. To give an extra margin we used to say up to 90 days. That is the maximum limit for normal individuals and it may be delayed in people who are on immuno-suppressible drugs.
Don't get confused by unauthorized statements.
Dr S.Murugan