Got sudden stomach pain with sweat and freezing. What could be this?

General Surgeon
Last night I woke up to horrible pain under my belly button and the need to go to the bathroom. I have felt this before but never to such extreme. As I was sitting in the bathroom a wave of intense heat and pain rocked my whole body. My ears were ringing and I could not speak to call out to my husband. Everything worsened and I tried to move to the bedroom to get to my husband but the pain and ringing intensified. The next thing I know my husband is trying to wake me up off the bathroom floor wrapping me in a blanket because I was freezing and all sweaty. I slowly got up and proceeded to empty my bowels for over twenty minutes of horrible pain. This morning my stomach is killing me and my lower back hurts. I have been bruising a lot latly and very low on energy some days. Not sure what I should do.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later

As per your medical history you were operated for Ruptured Appendix six years ago.
I would like to know whether it was operarted by Laparoscopic method or Open method by giving incison in the lower abdomen.

If at all it is done by open method,the symptoms that you have mentioned may be due to Intestinal obstruction.As the pain is under your belly button,this can be due to adhesion of bowels to one another,or adhesion of bowel to the surgical scar site inside the abdomen etc.In course of time,if the obstruction is not relieved soon,you may experience Distension of abdomen,vomiting and Constipation.

Another cause could be severe intestinal infection.If you have eaten anything from outside( not home made food) recently,there is every possibility of Infection,may be Bacterial or Parasitic or Mixed.Please take abroad spectrum antibiotic like combination of Levofloxacin/Ofloxacin with Ornidazole.You should add a Pre and Pro biotic capsule and also antispasmodic like Dicyclomine.

Please avoid spicy food and fast foods.
Eat fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.Drink plenty of liquids.

If the symptoms still persist,get an X XXXXXXX abdomen in erect posture and also Ultrasound abdomen.
Ultrasound abdomen will diagnose any Renal/Bowel pathology.It also gives the Clue regarding Endometriosis and also Size of fibroid uterus.If chocolate cyst is caused by Endometriosis,Torsion or Rupture should also be excluded as they will cause severe lower abdominal pain.

If you can come back with latest Ultrasound abdomen and X XXXXXXX report,i will clarify further.
Please attach your reports as Attachments so that i can read them completely.
Wish you good health and speedy recovery.