Got sudden and transient lightheadedness. Any suggestions?

Upon flying cross-country (California to Georgia) on a 'red-eye' overnight flight, I suddenly felt light-headed and as though I was going to faint. My heartbeat also felt slower than usual -- not extremely slow but perhaps 56-60 BPM. I rested my head on my lap and this sensation passed after a few minutes. I am now in the airport waiting for my connecting flight and still feel a bit woozy. Any recommendations? This has never happened to me before. I am a 52 year old male in generally good health. THANKS!
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Sudden and transient lightheadedness as being experienced by you is a very common and unpleasant sensation and is generally non serious,unless and until accompanied by other symptoms like shortness of breath or chest pain or loss of partial vision or some weakness in limbs.
The common causes for such lightheadedness could be due dehydration,low blood sugar,common cold,or if arising too quickly from a lying or seated position,use of certain medications,high blood pressure,low blood pressure,cervical spondylitis etc.

However,since you have had two episodes of atrial fibrillation,you should be very careful and watchful.
Keep yourself well hydrated,take some sugary stuff to eat and avoid sudden changes in your posture.
If you really feel uncomfortable,then you may even postpone your flight and get into an ER,to be on safe side.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any additional concern.
Best of luck