Got mucus and blood in stool. Medical history of diarrhea and anxiety. IBS?

General Surgeon
Mucus with some bloodI have had issues with on and off diarrhea for a couple years now. I have anxiety issues as well. For the past couple weeks I have had a lot of mucus in my stools (sometimes all that came out was mucus). I went to the XXXXXXX medicine doctor and she knows my history of diarrhea and anxiety and suggested IBS. Today I gave a stool sample and noticed that 90% was mucus, but when I look closely there was some blood in the mucus (not a lot, just little streaks and spots). Should I be concerned or is this IBS more than likely?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 16 minutes later
Blood and mucus in stools goes more in favour of Intestinal infection due to bacteria or parasite or mixed.
Blood will not come in stools in IBS.
There is superimposition of infection on IBS.
Please take course of Antibiotic like Rifaximine and Metronidazole.Add Pre and Probiotic and antispasmodic like Dicyclomine.
Practise yoga or meditation to reduce anxiety.
Please do not eat outside food.
Hope your symptoms come down with the above measures.
Wish you speedy recovery.
If you come back with any query,i will clarify further
Follow-up: Got mucus and blood in stool. Medical history of diarrhea and anxiety. IBS? 9 minutes later
The blood was a bright red color and not a black color. It also was not a large amount. There was a smaller amount you would have to look close to notice. I have no fever or any other symptoms besides abdominal bloated feeling and cramps. Is this something I should go to ER for or just a standard doctor/gastroenterologist?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 43 minutes later
In Dysentry due to bacteria or parasite,there will be bright red coloured blood with loose stools.
Black coloured stools are seen due to blood in the upper Gastro intestinal tract which becomes black when it passes through the intestines.
In bowel infections,there will be no fever ;but only pain coming intermittently like waves and mild distension sometimes.
Please go to ER.
You can take the above drugs till you XXXXXXX your doctor
Wish you speedy recovery
Follow-up: Got mucus and blood in stool. Medical history of diarrhea and anxiety. IBS? 2 hours later
My doctor's stool sample came back positive for C. Diff. She prescribed Flagyl. Should I be scared or concerned, or should I take the Flagyl and see what happens? What would you do if you were in my position?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 6 minutes later
I treated many patients with Clostridium difficile infection.
Flagyl is Metronidazole which i asked you to take.
If i was in your position,i would have taken Flagyl as prescribed by the doctor.
I too got good results with Flagyl.
Take flagyl orally.
Add Pre and probiotic also.
Wish you good health.Regards