Got low grade fever and swollen red skin after mosquito bite. Required treatment?

Allergist and Immunologist
Dear Dr Kondekar: My 4 year old daughter got more than 20 mosquito bites last night. This morning i found those nasty bites. They look so swollen and red. She has a low-grade fever around 99.7 this afternoon but looks fine with appetite. I asked her if she felt any ache or sickness. She said No. She never has a fever after mosquito bite before. So I am so worried about the fever. Is that possible she got some virus from the mosquito?
Posted Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Insect bites can be very bad on little children as their skin is very sensitive, therefore local application of calamine lotion with an antihistamine is usually very effective. If very bad, a mild steroid cream can be applied but only to the affected area and for 3 days.
Of course, high fever with decreased appetite is a reason to get blood tests done to exclude infections. Mosquitoes spread several infections like malaria, and viral ones such as dengue fever. So depending which part of the world you are currently in, you must get the viral serology or antigen tests done to exclude this. A low grade fever but without any other symptoms does not require blood tests. But if the fever continues with paracetamol or ibuprofen syrup, then you must get the blood done.

I hope this helps.
Best Wishes.