Got injury in elbow. X-ray showed clear. Noticed bruise on arm and hot to touch. Worrisome

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I just wrote a boatload about my elbow, then lost it. Anyhoo.....slipped and fell on stairs 5 days ago, injuring my elbow. Went to doc on Monday....x-rays, nothing broken. Today, huge bursa, severe bruising from wrist to upper arm, hot to touch.
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Appearance of a large bruise after an elbow injury is likely to be due to hematoma formation due to a hairline fracture or a X-ray and the bruise has appeared late, a soft tissue injury is the likely cause.
Most of the times, it reduces on doing a cold compress twice daily and giving adequate rest to the area. You can avoid lifting any weights and use an elastic brace around the elbow. The bruise will gradually disappear in 7-10 days after color changes from red to brown then yellow. Taking a mild pain killer will be helpful.
In case the swelling increases with considerable pain, fever and tenderness, then infection must be ruled out after a physical examination of the area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.