Got hit with a softball on ankle. Sore bump appeared. Could it be blood clot?

Question
I got hit with a softball on my inner left leg, right above the ankle. Have had a bump for three weeks. At the time it didn't hurt that bad. However now the entire area around the bump/bruise is sore. Don't think it's a fracture i still have full movement. I am wondering if it will just take more time to heal, or could it be something more serious like a blood clot? Also I have pain in hamstring, could be unrelated I know but adding to the concern with blood clot. Beneath the lump. Doc said likely just sobrome some vessels and that the lump will be there for a while, but It feels like I don't have full circulation. No fever, doesn't feel warm to touch. Thanks
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

The description of the injury and post injury details does not sound worrisome. No visible redness and swelling with full round movements after three weeks are significant points that I noted.

However I wonder if any first aid is done like Ice compression, Rest and splinting (I consider them to be very important during initial therapy) to avoid long term nagging pain. An ample time should be give for complete healing. I think it is just taking more time because you are regular with your activity.

To improve the circulation hot fomentation over the area helps. Rise in temperature to the area vasodilates and more blood to the area with faster and better healing. It is also good idea to splint the joint while walking (remove at night) and no more soft ball till you stop feeling the pain. I believe hamstring pain is just a coincidence. It puts my above suggestion strong that you need rest and splint.

Hope this helps you.