Got hit on upper lip and tooth. Noticed swelling. Any treatment?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I hit my upper lip with the channel remote and my lip also hit a tooth. I did not bleed but I have a swollen
upper lip that is purple and blue and the inside of my upper lip where my tooth hit it is blue and purple. What can I do for this other than icing it?
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Lips are very delicate structure and easily prone to injuries - resulting in swelling. The purple and blue colour of the lips indicates that you may have some internal bleeding as a result of the injury.

It was good on your part that you have applied ice. This will help in reducing the pain and inflammation. Since there might be XXXXXXX bleeding, some medicines like pain killer and antibiotic may be needed. Tylenol pain relief is an useful medication. You may consult your nearest healthcare provider for the antibiotic.

In addition to the medications, I also suggest the following:

- Have a soft diet for one or two days. Avoid foods that are spicy and avoid stretching of your mouth for big foods like whole XXXXXXX
- You may feel a strong urge to lick the upper lip when it is in swollen state, but you must avoid that as it can aggravate the problem. Drink plenty of pure water to keep the lip moist.
- Include Vitamin C in your diet to speed up the healing process. Vitamin C pills might help.

Expect about 4 to 5 days to heal.

I hope I am able to help you. If you have any other query, I will be happy to help.

Take care and wishing you a speedy recovery.