Got hit on back of head. Started getting headache and pressure round nose. Should I be worried?

ENT Specialist
Question
I was knocked over by my dog 6 weeks ago, and hit the back of my head, just above the neck on the ground. I thought I was fine at the time, and had no vomitting and did not pass out, just a bit of a head ache, I went to see my doctor a few days later, as had some pressure in the head still. He did checks for post concussion, and said it could take a few weeks to settle. 6 weeks on I still have pressure around the top of my nose / sinuses, although the injury was to the back of my head. Should I be worried ? If I put pressure by hand to the back of my head, this increases the sinus pressure on the front. I did not have any sinus pressure before the accident. The pressure is not strong, but constant, and I can also feel it more so, when laying down at night, as my head is on the pillow.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. This sinus pressure could be as a result of a contre-coup injury. Such an injury occurs on the side opposite to the impact.

2. The sinus pressure is most probably referred pain from spasm of the neck muscles and scalp. You may ask your physician to prescribe a muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory medication. Local application of pain relieving gels around the site of the injury may also help. Hot fomentation will help.

3. Scans of the sinuses, brain and spine are most likely to be normal and are not recommended yet. You may get these done only if there is no relief with medication.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Got hit on back of head. Started getting headache and pressure round nose. Should I be worried? 39 minutes later
How long should I expect , before a full recovery ?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 29 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If you hit the ground hard, it my take many months. As long as the intensity keeps reducing, there is no cause for worry. Some patients have the pain and discomfort disappear only to return in winter and in cooler climatic conditions.

2. To aid faster recovery, take the help of the treatment mentioned above.

Regards.