Got hit in inner thigh. Had red bruise and painful lump that appeared instantly. Thoughts?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I got hit in the inner thigh by a smoking fast baseball. Within 2 minutes I had major red bruised imprint of the ball on my upper inner thigh. What concerns me is that about 6 inches below where the ball hit me I have painful quarter size lump bruise that appeared almost instantly. Thoughts?
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a hematoma formation.

Detailed Answer:
The red bruise and the lump below the bruise is all due to an XXXXXXX bleeding due to a blunt trauma to the bone or soft tissue around it leading to break in capillary blood vessels which in turn give rise to haematoma (internal bleeding and clot). Rest assured it will subside in a week or more. But if you have persistent pain, please go ahead and confirm the diagnosis with CT scan.
In the meantime you can practice what is called R.I.C.E. This stands for rest, icing the area of injury, compression-use a bandage to reduce the swelling and elevation- elevation of the affected are reduces the swelling and may also have a positive impact on the pain.
In case the size of swelling - not coloration increases and there is a considerable pain then do consult your orthopedician for CT scan.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.