Got herpes infection on chin which left mark. Suggest home remedy to get over these marks?

Hi! A month back I got herpes infection on my chin and although its gone now i still see some marks left behind on my chin. I put oil on it but is there any way i can fade the marks on my chin? any cream or home remedy you would suggest that can help me get over with these marks?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 13 minutes later
Hi ,

I completely understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you for the same.

Now your concern is regarding the development of pigmented scars after the healing of herpes lesions.
Topical medications can definitely be of help to you in reducing the pigmentation to some extent, although only after proper treatment, we can know the results

Since these are dark scars, I would advice that using a lightening agent like kojic acid and vitamin c combination over the scars will surely be of help. This is a simple, harmless lightening agent which can be used for as long the blackish pigmentation is there.
If there is not much improvement after using the above agent for 1 -2 months , then i usually use something like hydroquinone two percent in my patients to be applied over the affected area only at night.
Also ,try not to touch the area too much.
Use proper sunscreen (spf>26) before going out in the sun so that the lesion doesn't darken any further.
Take a diet XXXXXXX in vitamin C and antioxidants like Citrus fruits and lots of salads.

If after all the above measures, the scars tend to persist, then I would advise that you should see a dermatologist as there are various other measures for the treatment of pigmented scars like the use of chemical peels, dermabrasion etc which a dermatologist can decide according to the type of scars.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wishing you speedy recovery,
Dr Geetika Paul.

Follow-up: Got herpes infection on chin which left mark. Suggest home remedy to get over these marks? 58 minutes later
Thank you so much Doctor. is there any cream or any powder that i can get for kojic acid? or how should i use the kojic acid and vitamic C combo? like mixing kojic acid with lemon or something? would you suggest anything that i can find to apply? thank you!
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 14 minutes later

Kojic acid and vitamin C combinations are readily available at most of the good chemist shops as a medicated cream.
You just need to apply the same over the affected area twice a day and it will surely help in reducing the pigmentation .

Anything else that you want to know, please tell.

Dr Geetika Paul.