Ask a Urologist   »  

Got friction burn on penis head. How to treat this?

penial damage I'm a 20 year old male emt I happened to encure 4 friction burns to the head of my penis one being more server then the outhers my question is wht is the best way to treat ? its unavoidable getting urine in the affected area so when I have to urinate I make sure to clean the area and I place a non adheasive steril pad and gause to secure it is this the best course or action school did not cover this sensitive area very well espicaly on going care so any advice to speed the healing would be greatly appreciated
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 31 minutes later

Thank you for writing to us.

At first, I would like to ask if you are circumcised or not? If you are not, then throughout the healing process, try not to pull your foreskin behind, except while taking a shower to clean the area; also dry the area after a shower.

I am really happy with the initiative you have taken to keep the area clean with an adhesive sterile pad, and also to clean and dry the area after urination.

Normally, friction wounds on the penis heal by themselves, but during this time we have to take special care not to allow an infection. To prevent an infection you could use a topical antibiotic ointment neosporin twice a day. You can apply the cream on the pad, and then apply it on to your glans penis. This ointment will also help in speeding up the healing process.

I hope this information helps. You will be fine soon.

Best wishes.