Ask a Dentist   »  

Got braces on. Feeling uncomfortable, have dry lips and hard knot on tongue. Any thoughts?

I just got braces on about two weeks ago. I was sore the first week, but starting week two I am feeling odd discomfort. I can't seem to keep my tongue in place, it feels like I have less space, so I keep sticking it forward which is causing me to repeatedly bite it. The end of my tongue has a hard knot in it now and has what look like white heads on it. I'm assuming I'm a mouth breather now because my lips are super dry as well. Any thoughts? I'm mostly concerned with my tongue.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 31 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that when one gets the braces on, some amount of discomfort occurs due to pressure from the braces. Braces make it difficult for the lips to close making them dry and chapped. If you are a mouth breather then dryness becomes worse. I will advise you to use a chap stick to keep your lips moist.

The hard knot on the tongue is mostly the healing tissue which will disappear with time.

The only way you can avoid biting your tongue is by keeping a check on yourself or I will advise you to see you orthodontist, because sometimes a sharp edge of a bracket irritates the tongue making it sore. If your dentist makes some modifications on the bracket then this problem can be resolved.

If you have any further queries, kindly write back to us.

I hope this answer was useful; Let me know if you need clarifications.