Got black bumps on tongue beside the test buds. What are these?

ENT Specialist
Hi I was wondering what these are on the back of my tongue. They are kids sore and they just literally came up a couple hours ago I felt like there was something on my tongue and then I went an looked and there were these bumps on the back of my tongue where my large taste buds are. And my ears have been itchy for the past month I guess. I clean the regularly when I shower with q-tips
Posted Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The images are not clear. Kindly try an auto-focus macro mode for close-up images.

2. Assuming that these are small bumps or sores at the back of the tongue and not confused with the circumvallate papillae (normal large taste buds situated on the back of the tongue), the most likely cause is lymphoid tissue hypertrophy or apthous ulcers.

3. Get your tongue and throat examined by an ENT Specialist to rule out any cause such as an infection, allergy (quick appearance) and acid reflux (you have a history of itching ears). Do you have any nasal symptoms?

4. You may start with medicated gargles and let your doctor supervise the anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and anti-reflux medication.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.