Got bitten by dog. Noticed black spot beneath the nail. What to do?

i got bitten by my own vaccinated dog on middle finger of my right hand at night of 22nd May,2013. Blood came out and there is a small black spot beneath the middle finger nail. i washed my hand in running water then used savlon over it and applied a band-aid for 2 hours. what i see is a little amount of skin came out due the bite got stick at its place....what to do??? i can take vaccine by 23rd only...
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The first and most reassuring aspect of your query, is that your dog is vaccinated. Which is great news.

Another piece of information I would like to add here before going in to the treatment is that we almost never cover a dog bite wound. We clean it immediately, with running water and a disinfectant, but never cover the wound. It is to be left open. You can hold on to this information for future reference.

Now coming to the treatment. I saw the attached image, and the wound is small, but will have to be treated. Another important question, is about your vaccination status. When were you last vaccinated?

If you were vaccinated more than a year ago then treatment will include:
-Post-exposure rabies vaccination (regimen includes vaccination on the following days: 0, 3, 7, 14, 28)-- to be given in deltoid or anterolateral thigh muscle
-Tetanus shot
-Antibiotics to heal the wound and prevent infections

It is best to take the vaccination on the same day, especially the first two doses (i.e, day 0 and 3), as this is part of the regimen. But, if you really cannot, then do not worry. Keep the wound open and report for a vaccination at the earliest on the 23 rd. You will have to get your antibody titer checked after the regimen is complete, and may be get a booster dose if the antibody titer is low.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.