Got back injury. Bruise and large knot appeared. How to get rid of this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fell down stair landed directly on my back, I that was a week ago. Its was a bruise and a LARGE knot on the right side of the small of my back. The pain has stopped for the most part, but the knot is a large as ever and have not went down. Is there anything I can do to make the knot go away?
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 42 minutes later

From your description, it seems to be soft tissue injury or ligament strain over back. This large knot most probably formed due to hematoma formation(blood collection) which could get fibrosed or calcified. It will take few weeks to months to disappear.

I suggest you to consult your general physician nearby for a detailed examination. A Xray or MRI can be done to rule out other injuries.

Meanwhile give hot fomentation over it. You can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily). Avoid forward bending and rest well.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.