Got achilles injury. Facing difficulty to stand and unable to walk properly. Looking for relief

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I am not a very active sporty person. I was skipping with my children last evening when i hurt my Achilles. I cannot walk properly and cannot stand on tip toe. I ruptured my Achilles 7 years ago on the other foot. The pain & discomfort feel the same but I didnt have the popping feeling & knowing my foot was not attached to my leg
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later

From description it seems you might developed achilles tendon sprain.
Minor to moderate Achilles tendon injuries should heal on their own. You just need to give them time.

To speed the healing, you can:
Rest your leg. Avoid putting weight on your leg as best you can. You may need crutches.
Ice your leg. To reduce pain and swelling, ice your injury for 20 to 30 minutes, every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.
Compress your leg. Use an elastic bandage around the lower leg and ankle to keep down swelling.
Elevate your leg. Prop you leg up on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.
Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Advil, Aleve, or Motrin, will help with pain and swelling.
Use a heel lift. Your doctor may recommend that you wear an insert in your shoe while you recover. It will protect your Achilles tendon from further stretching.
Practice stretching and strengthening exercises as recommended by your doctor.

Usually, these techniques will do the trick. But in severe cases of Achilles tendon injury, you may need a cast for six to 10 weeks, or even surgery to repair the tendon or remove excess tissue.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.