Gonorrhea, taken Ceftriaxone. Correct medication?

Hi I contracted Gonorrea last week, I went to the doctors they gave me 6 ceftriavone ratiopharm (i am in itay at the moment) but i am not shore it is working as I have one day left and still all the signs of Gonorrea. Is this the correct medication?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 minutes later

Previously, a class of antibiotics known as the fluoroquinolones was widely used for gonorrhea infection but it developed resistance and hence now injectable ceftriaxone appears to be one of the few effective antibiotics.

Ceftriaxone disodium salt (a derivative of Ceftriaxone) is reported as an ingredient of Ceftriaxone ratiopharm in Italy and it is one of the first line of treatment of gonorrhea. You have been prescribed the correct medicine.

In your case, if the symptoms are persisting then it is important to look out for other STD’s like chlmaydia which may be accompanying gonorrhea and is often found in 60% of the cases.

Chlamydia treatment includes antibiotics like doxycycline and Azithromycin and you may need these medicines as well. So you can get them prescribed from your doctor.

Secondly, to avoid re-infection, any sexual partners should be treated too. If you have any active sexual partner then she also needs treatment as she may be the source of reinfection.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.