Gone through histroscopy and got TB PCR positive. On forcox and AKT 4. Will these medicine harm baby?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
tuberculosis treatment during pregnancydear sir i m XXXXXXX XXXXXXX i have one daughter aged 10yrs. i have 3 failed IVF cycle. on 20th april i gone through histroscopy and i got TB PCR positive. i started taking forcox from 1st XXXXXXX to 19th XXXXXXX empty stomach and from 20th XXXXXXX to 27 XXXXXXX AKT 4. today i got my pregnancy test positive and doctor confirm its already 7 weeks. now my doc suggesting AKT 2. now i want to ask u that does any harm to my baby coz of forcox and AKT 4 and during pregnancy i will take AKT 2. will this harm my baby or what should i do.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Forcox contains,
Rifampicin: 225 mg,
Isoniazid: 150 mg,
Pyrizinamide: 750 mg,
Ethambutol: 400 mg

AKT4 contains,
Rifampicin: 450 mg,
Isoniazid: 300 mg,
Pyrizinamide: 750 mg,
Ethambutol: 800 mg,

AKT2 contains,
Rifampicin: 450 mg,
Isoniazid: 300 mg,

In pregnancy, these drugs come under category C means animal studies shown teratogenic effects but human studies are lacking,

Rifampicin: can be used when benefits over weigh the risks
Isoniazid: neonates should be given vitamin K after birth to prevent postpartum hemorrhage.
Pyrizinamide: may cause neural tube defects, hearing loss in new born
Ethambutol: chances of ophthalmic abnormalities in newborn.

as you used all the four drugs in early pregnancy, though low possibility we cannot completely rule out the chances of harm to the baby,
so you discuss these things in detail with your doctor and your family members then decide accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Gone through histroscopy and got TB PCR positive. On forcox and AKT 4. Will these medicine harm baby? 5 hours later
how and when we can rule out any harm to baby.? doctor told me to continue AKT 2 for next 13 weeks. is it ok with me?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
HI,

-once again I want to tell is the chances of baby getting affected is low,

if at all gets affected features like hearing loss etc can be best diagnosed after birth by examining the baby,

neural tube defects etc can be diagnosed to some extent by estimation of maternal serum alfa feto protein levels around 16 to 18 weeks of pregnancy and by anomaly scan around 18 to 20 weeks.
following the growth of the baby with regular antenatal visits and ultrasound scans is important.
you can use AKT2 as your doctor recommended it by thinking that benefits over weigh the risks.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Gone through histroscopy and got TB PCR positive. On forcox and AKT 4. Will these medicine harm baby? 5 days later
now another problem arise my SGOT 44 and SGPT 103 that is high. what should i do now? i m taking AKT 2 now adays. My HCG is 0000 eight week after LMP

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later
hi,

as there is only minimal elevation, you follow with repeating the tests after 2 to 3 weeks with your doctor's advice.
if the elevation persists then you discuss regarding changing of the drugs with your doctor.
The reference normal value of hCG in 8th week after lmp is between 7,650 to 229,000,
So according to that your hCG value is normal only,
You can go for ultrasound once to rule out the rare possibilities like multiple gestation or molar pregnancy and possibility of cerebral tuberculosis is very rare.