Glaucoma,degenerative disc disease,herniated disc,rheumatoid arthritis,headache,weakness,kidney disease

I have glaucoma, degenerative disc disease, herniated disc at L5 impinging on S1, serum negative rheumatoid arthritis. For the past two years I have been getting a lot of headaches, fogginess that often causes me to be weak or loose my balance. I have fallen several times. I had a CAT scan of my head done and nothing was found. I also get lumps that form on the back of my head, hurt for awhile and then go down. I have had a hysterecomy where they took out 13 tumors and my cervix. I also have blood poisoning and I had to have a lithotrispy to get it out. Ever since the blood poisoning, I feel weak, and my other symptoms seem to have increased. Can you tell me what to have my doctor check for? She can't seem to pin point a problem.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 10 hours later

I see that you have many problems and I appreciate that you have dealt with them so well.

On reading your complete history, I would say that each condition is different from the other problems you have. Regarding the headache, fogginess and loss of balance, I suggest you get your eyes tested again since this could be an exaggeration of an underlying glaucoma, and needs urgent treatment. An ENT specialist also may aid you with some tests.

I would also suggest you see a doctor personally to get a complete physical examination, blood pressure check,blood sugar and other tests as well.

Coming to the weakness and increase in other symptoms, I would say that it is expected for one to feel weak, as you have had surgeries, herniated disc,etc.I would suggest that you eat well, and make sure you are having a balanced meal every time, also drink lot of fluids in the form of water, juices every day(if not a diabetic) and reduce your worries.

I would suggest you to get the following tests done, if not done before:

1.Thyroid function tests
2.Complete blood count
3.Blood sugar
4.Ser. Calcium and uric acid
5.Renal function tests
6.ECG AND 2D echo of the heart

You may consider talking to your doctor, before getting these done and later to interpret the readings.

I may not be able to conclude on the lumps which you get on the back of your head, as it needs an examination and further investigation .

Since your age is 47, though you have had a hysterectomy, I would still expect some hormonal changes in you, which could be a cause for the weakness as well.

Hence you need enough rest, good sleep and good healthy diet to deal with the symptoms along with medicines, also, do not stop the antidepressant SERTRALIN on your own, continue it and take the right dose as suggested by the doctor.

I hope is answered your questions , I am available for follow up queries as well.