Given Medroxyprogesterone acetate tablets for abortion. Is it enough for abortion?

Sir, I am pregnant now, last day of my menses was October 15.But now we don't need a baby. So I consult with a gynecologist and he prescribed me medroxyprogesterone acetate tablets USP for one week daily two tablet. Is it enough for abortion? Expected your valuable advice. XXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is not the correct medicine for abortion Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Medroxyprogesterone acetate tablets USP is not the correct medicine for abortion. It is not used to cause abortion. There must be some mis-communication somewhere. How did you confirm your pregnancy? Was a urine pregnancy test done or an ultrasound scan done? Medroxyprogesterone acetate will not cause abortion. The routinely used medical drugs for abortion are mifeprestone and misoprostol. Please get back to your doctor, and get the right medicines prescribed. Regards,
Follow-up: Given Medroxyprogesterone acetate tablets for abortion. Is it enough for abortion? 15 minutes later
Madam I confirmed pregnancy by urine test twice, yesterday and today. Can I buy this Mifeprestone or Misoprostol from a medical store. Can I use it without the proscription of a gynecologist.If yes what is its dosage.? XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: it is prescription drug Detailed Answer: Hello, Both Mifeprestone and Misoprostol are prescription drugs. They are not available over the counter at the medical store. Also, it is XXXXXXX to use them without consulting a Gynecologist. I suggest you to get it prescribed by a gynecologist, and proceed accordingly. It would be unethical and inappropriate to prescribe you scheduled drugs without doing a proper examination.